Thursday, November 8, 2012

Debugging php locally with Zend debugger

My tryst with Facebook app development is taking me to rather not ventured areas of computing.

Latest is debugging php code locally, kindly browse my previous posts to see how to deploy LAMP and create virtual hosts etc.


I was on the lookout of seeing which debugger will suit most on Linux Mint. I found that Zend has a debugger which could be blended with your existing server stack. So I researched and setted it up.

Here is how I did it.


Download the Zend debugger from Zend website here. Select the "Studio Web Debugger" and follow the instructions.

Zend forums has excellent step by step guide on installing the debugger. It can be found here.

Once you have completed the instructions restart your web server.

Now check your error log "/var/log/apache2/error.log", if it has error like following:


"Failed loading /etc/apache2/ZendDebugger.so:  libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

install libssl0.9.8 using synaptic.


After that I installed PDT for eclipse and tested the debugger connection in "Debug Cnfigurations..." in Run menu. But the connection failed after searching a bit I found that default port for Zend debugger is 10137, which I changed in eclipse.


Now I am able to debug php in eclipse.

Hope you find this useful, thanks for reading, thanks again to guys for creating such useful software's.


12 comments:

  1. It is such an important topic and ignored by so many, even professionals. I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issues.
    Way2sms login

    ReplyDelete